Monday, 13 April 2015
Jesse's fruit salad in a pineapple shell
Kids Around the World: Cook! The best foods and recipes from many lands, by Arlette N. Braman, illustrations by Jo-Ellen Bosson, 2000 USA
Tropical Fruit Bowl: South Pacific Islands
“Here’s how to make your own South Pacific fruit bowl.”
Here’s what you need:
Servings : 4
Recipe requires adult help.
Ingredients: 2 kiwis; 10 large strawberries; 1 pineapple; 1 orange; 1 papaya; 25 grapes; flaked coconut
Equipment: knife; cutting board; medium-sized bowl; mixing spoon
Here’s what you do:
1. Cut the skins off the kiwis. Cut the kiwis into slices and place them in the bowl. Rinse the strawberries, cut off the green tops, cut the berries into big pieces, and place them in the bowl with the kiwis.
2. Ask an adult to cut the pineapple in half lengthwise. Have the adult cut the fruit out of the shell. Cut the fruit into chunks and place them in the bowl. Save the pineapple shells to use as serving bowls.
3. Peel the orange and then cut the fruit into chunks and place them in the bowl with the other fruits.
4. Cut the papaya in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the halves into a few long slices, then peel off the skin. Cut the fruit into chunks and place them in the bowl.
5. Rinse the grapes and place them in the bowl. Use the spoon to mix the cut-up fruit together. Then divide the fruit between the two pineapple shells. Sprinkle on some flaked coconut. Though there are only two pineapple shells, this dish easily serves 4.
Top job Jesse!