Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Australian Red Cross and Pineapple

My sister-in-law, Colleen, scanned these from a c.1945 cookbook she’s been given. It belonged to Mary Mcgorman who lived on a farm, "Bryplains", at Balldale near Corowa NSW, Anne.

"Being of Queensland in origin there have been several clippings either pasted in or loosely inserted. It’s a very well-used book so I am sure these pineapple recipes were tested by the owner." Colleen.


Pine and Apple Crumble

2 cups Golden Circle Crushed Pineapple (drained), 3 cups pie apple, ½ cup desiccated coconut, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ cups rice bubbles, ½ cup Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk

Place apples and pineapple into a greased casserole. Combine remaining ingredients. Mix well. Sprinkle over fruits. Bake in a moderate oven (180° - 190°C) for 30 minutes. Serve hot.


Pineapple Ribbon Dessert
440g can Golden Circle Crushed Pineapple, 1 pkt red jelly crystals, 2 cups creamed rice, 3 tblspns gelatine, 1/3 cup cold water, whipped cream, crushed nuts

Soak gelatine in cold water, dissolve over hot water. Prepare jelly according to directions. Set aside to cool. Place pineapple and syrup in saucepan and heat to boiling. Remove from stove and stir in half of dissolved gelatine. Add remaining gelatine to creamed rice. Place creamed rice in mould. Chill until firm. Add pineapple layer and chill until firm. Top with jelly and chill again. Unmould onto serving dish and top with whipped cream and crushed nuts. Serve in slices. 

I poured in the jelly a little soon so it doesn't create a perfect red layer. I topped the Ribbon Dessert, which I made in a ring mould, with a mixture of berries. Anne




Some of the others are pretty wild - the 'Orange or Lemon Kiora' (Maori for well/healthy) would keep you regular with the magic ingredient of Epsom salts!" Colleen.

Another recipe in the Beverages section (“Wassail” from 1800) worried me as I began to read the instructions “… put into a cauldron…” but I was pleased when there was no mention of “ Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog”, Anne.

Here are a couple of the extra recipes inserted between the book's pages that use pineapple.


2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering about the rice-bubbles - I've never seen them used as a crumble topping, but I guess it's not that much different to other cereal-type toppings. Any good? (I think I'll avoid Epsom Salts, even if teamed with delectable pineapple!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,
    I quite like rice bubbles but I think I'll stick to the old crumble topping of butter and sugar and cinnamon in the future!

    ReplyDelete