Wednesday 16 July 2014

Pineapple Heaven

My niece, Georgina, sent this email from London while she was visiting her sister, Katrina, and Tom recently.

“We had an amazing London lunch today at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant Dinner. I feel very spoilt. One of the desserts was Tipsy Cake, featuring spit roasted pineapple with brioche. I took some photos for you! A few through the window to the kitchen featuring the spit roasting, and one of the actual desserts.
I didn't actually get the dessert myself (although three people in our party did). I did get to have a taste and it was nice. I think there is some kind of glaze put on at some point in the roasting process, and sugar and cinnamon sounds about right”.

Thanks for that Georgina! We had to try it for ourselves and, wow, it was one of our best pineapple combinations yet!
Les peeled a spiral around the pineapple and spit roasted it for about an hour, basting it occasionally with melted butter mixed with a little sugar and cinnamon.



He is usually the bread baker in our family but I thought I’d have a go at baking some brioches (yes, I did check the plural of brioche), found a recipe and the combination was sensational! Anne.

I found a fascinating article by Heston Blumenthal online. He includes a recipe for roast pineapple, with pineapple and chilli jelly, and crab syrup that he describes as a fantastic dessert!                                                                                                                              

“The proof of the pudding ... “ by Heston Blumenthal, The Guardian, Sat. 8 December 2001
Tom took Georgina to (I suspect one of his favourite haunts) Brick Lane, where they spotted this (modified?) poster.

1 comment:

  1. That looks absolutely wonderful - I need to find someone with a BBQ!

    ReplyDelete