Sunday, 28 May 2017
Pineapples for life
Recipes for Life from the Fit for Life Kitchen, Marilyn Diamond with Lisa Neuwirth USA 1998
Cleansing Fruit Meal
“This tangy fruit salad is ideal on the morning after a heavy supper. The citrus juice dressing gives you that squeaky clean feeling. The fresh mint refreshes.”
1 cup diced fresh pineapple; 1 orange, peeled and diced; 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and diced; 2 fresh mint leaves, julienned (optional)
Dressing: Juice of ½ lemon; juice of ½ grapefruit; juice of 1 orange
1. Combine diced fruit in large bowl with mint leaves.
2. Pour citrus juices over salad and toss well.
Florida Fruit Breakfast
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1cm cubes; 2 bananas, sliced into 1/2cm rounds; 1 mango. Peeled, pitted, and diced into 1cm cubes; 1 tblsp poppy seeds; ¼ cup plain yoghurt; 2 tspn honey; fresh mint leaves for garnish; 1 basket fresh strawberries, stemmed; 1 orange
1. In a large serving bowl toss pineapple, bananas, and mango. Top with strawberries.
2. Grate enough zest of the orange to make 1 tspn; juice the orange by hand. Combine orange zest and juice, oppy seeds, yoghurt, and honey in a separate bowl. Drizzle over fruit and garnish with mint leaves.
“This pure fruit tonic is a tropical vacation in a glass, sure to elevate you to a sunny mood.”
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, fresh or bottled; 1 mango, pitted, peeled, and sliced; juice of ½ lime; 1 tspn honey; 1 banana; ½ cup ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth
½ fresh pineapple, peeled but not cored; 2 oranges; 1 tspn honey; ½ basket alfalfa sprouts
1. Pass pineapple through vegetable juicer
2. Juice range by hand or with a citrus juicer, or peel, leaving pith, which contains vitamin C and bioflavinoids, and pass through vegetable juicer
3. Combine juices, honey, and sprouts in blender until smooth and creamy
“This meal is refreshing, filling, and ideal when avocados are in season. The tomato adds a good contrasting flavour to the pineapple, or the persimmon can add to the sweetness. Use fuyu persimmons, which are hard and tomato-shaped, rather than tear-drop shaped and soft. The julienned lettuce adds texture, fiber, and colour. Don’t be afraid to mix lettuce in fruit salads, even at breakfast. The effect is very pleasing.”
2 cups cubed pineapple; 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and cubed; 1 diced tomato or sliced persimmon; 1 cup julienned lettuce; juice of 1 orange
1. Combine salad ingredients and toss in orange juice.
Sunny Seed and Fruit Meal
“The amounts are for a family-sized salad. For one serving make one-quarter the amount. This makes a delicious soothing supper or a cleansing morning meal. Great with tea made from chamomile and ginger.”
1 pineapple, halved, cored, and sliced; 2 cups hulled strawberries, sliced; 2 oranges or tangelos, peeled, halved, and sliced; 8 black mission figs, chopped, or 1 cup raisins; 4 kiwis, peeled and sliced; 2 cups enzymized hulled sunflower seeds; 1 ½ cups vanilla or plain soy milk; juice of 2 oranges; dashes of cinnamon and cardamom; 4 bananas, sliced
1. Prepare fruit and combine in large bowl. Add sunflower seeds and mix well
2. Spoon into large bowls. Combine soy milk, orange juice, and spices. Pour over individual servings.