Tuesday 6 February 2018

Pineapple Waldorf Salad


Thanks to my friend Jenny for this delicious Waldorf Salad recipe.  

We were living in Belltrees in the early 1970s. Chris had the school and I was the Postmistress and telephone exchange operator. To fill the days I decided to learn to type on Chris’s portable typewriter so I typed out the recipes I used all the time. Hence the poor layout and misspelt words all through it!

In my book this is called a Waldorf Salad and as we know from ‘Faulty Towers’ that can mean any combination. I don’t know where it came from but have been making it since at least 1970 when I put it in the book” Jenny.

Waldorf Salad.

1 large tin of pineapple pieces, drained; 4 red apples (I usually put 2 red and 2 green) finely sliced; 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (I prefer pecans, Chris walnuts); 1 cup celery cut diagonally; 4 shallots chopped finely
Combine all these.
Dressing: 1/4 teaspoon mustard (any sort); 1/4 teaspoon salt; pinch paprika; 1 dessertspoon of pineapple juice; 2 teaspoons of honey
Mix together with 150ml whipped cream folded into the honey. Mix carefully coating the salad vegetables with the dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment