Saturday, 20 August 2016
Australian Lifestyle Cookbook 1990 Polly Book Publishing Company, Melbourne
8 thick beef sausages; ¼ cup pineapple juice; 3 cups of hot water; 2 tblspn of honey; ¾ cup of crushed pineapple; 1 tspn soy sauce 2 tblspn sultanas; 2 large tomatoes; 1 tblspn desiccated coconut; 4 tasty cheese slices; 4 new potatoes; 2 cups frozen peas; 1 tblspn brown sugar
1. Place hot water in a frying pan, add sausages, cover cook over medium heat 7 minutes, while the sausages parboil, combine together pineapple, sultanas and coconut.
2. Boil potatoes in a large pot of water 15-20 minutes. Drain sausages, set aside. Mix together pineapple juice, honey and soy sauce.
3. Halve tomatoes, top with cheese slices, place onto oven tray, set aside. Slit sausages lengthwise, fill with pineapple mixture. Transfer to a shallow baking dish, pour over the honey mixture. Bake at 230°C for 7 ½ minutes, brush with honey mixture from base of baking dish. Top each sausage with 12 teaspoon brown sugar. Cook tomatoes and sausages at 230°C for 7 ½ minutes.
4. Meanwhile bring a pot of water to the boil for peas. Cook 5-6 minutes.
5. Serve sausages accompanied with boiled potatoes, baked tomatoes and peas.
This inspired souvenir from the Pacific, “Hawaii kitsch. That big pineapple walks”, was featured in Op Shop Mama, a wonderful New Zealand blog dedicated to truly passionate op shopping and jumble sale trawling. The theme is “Life is a crazy, beautiful treasure hunt!” Thanks for letting us use your photo Op Shop Mama!