Monday, 10 July 2017
Happy 5th Birthday Pineapple Princesses!
The Pineapple Princesses posted our first Golden Circle Tropical Recipe Book meal at Ann's house five years ago today. 522 recipes later we're still inspired by an endless collection of pineapple recipes from around the world. Keep watching this space!
When our great niece, lovely Matilda, turned one this year she celebrated with these delicious fruit kebabs! They look very inviting! Anne
The Pineapple Princesses celebrated today with these yummy pancakes from buzzfeed - thanks for the link Jessica P!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jordankenna/turn-brunch-on-its-head-with-these-pineapple-upside-down?utm_term=.pfXnqn09D#.camNpNlM8“Turn Brunch On Its Head With These Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes. Your friends are gonna flip.”
Recipe by jordankenna (BuzzFeed Staff) rachelgaewski (BuzzFeed Staff) Tasty (BuzzFeed Staff)
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes - thanks for the link Jessica P!
2 cups flour; 2 teaspoons baking powder; 1½ teaspoons baking soda; ½ teaspoon salt; ¼ cup sugar; 1½ cups milk; ½ teaspoon vanilla extract; ½ cup butter, plus additional for frying; ¼ cup brown sugar; 1½ ounces spiced rum, optional; 1 20-ounce can pineapple rings with juice (we got about ½ cup of juice once separated from the fruit); Maraschino cherries
1. To a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined. Create a small well in the middle of the the dry ingredients. Add milk, half of the reserved pineapple juice, ¼ cup melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients combine to form a lumpy batter. Set aside while you make the pineapple syrup.
2. Add the remaining¼ cup of butter to small sauce pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar, the remaining pineapple juice, and rum. Bring ingredients to a boil allowing for the sugar to melt and caramelize. Once mixture is smooth and has the consistency of syrup, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add a slice of pineapple. Cook pineapple ring until lightly caramelized on one side, about 2 minutes, before flipping it.
4. Once flipped, fill the core of the pineapple with 1-2 maraschino cherries before pouring about ¼ cup of the pancake batter over. Cook until the edges start to set and the top begins to bubble, about 2 minutes, before carefully flipping the pancake--revealing the pineapple underneath. Cook for an additional 90 seconds to 2 minutes until the pancake is cooked through.
5. Store cooked pancakes in a 200˚F (90˚C) oven until ready to serve.
6. Serve pancakes warm with reserved pineapple syrup.